Sound Off! // Comment Klatsch #18: Sounds of Freedom
klatsch \KLAHCH\ , noun: A casual gathering of people, esp. for refreshments and informal conversation [German Klatsch, from klatschen, to gossip, make a sharp noise, of imitative origin.] (Dictionary.com)
Dear Readers: ¡Regina Bradley, Presente! —J. Stoever-Ackerman, Editor-in-Chief
In honor of the 50th anniversary of Freedom Summer, which sounds remind you of the Freedom Struggle today?
Comment Klatsch logo courtesy of The Infatuated on Flickr.
About Regina N. BradleyDr. Regina N. Bradley is a writer, scholar, and researcher of African American Life and Culture. She is a recipient of the Nasir Jones HipHop Fellowship at Harvard University (Spring 2016) and an Assistant Professor of African American Literature at Armstrong State University. Dr. Bradley's expertise and research interests include hip hop culture, race and the contemporary U.S. South, and sound studies. Dr. Bradley's current book project, Chronicling Stankonia: Recognizing America's Hip Hop South (under contract, UNC Press), explores how hip hop (with emphasis on the southern hip hop duo Outkast) and popular culture update conversations about the American South to include the post-Civil Rights era. Also known as Red Clay Scholar, a nod to her Georgia upbringing, Regina maintains a critically acclaimed blog and personal website – www.redclayscholar.com.
- “Happy Homes Have Gramophones” –Gender, Technology, and the Sonic Restaging of Community Before and After the Partition of Bengal
- Out of Sync: Gendered Location Sound Work in Bollywood
- The Queer Sound of the Dandiya Queen, Falguni Pathak
- Gendered Soundscapes of India, an Introduction
- Gender and the First Sound Films in 1930s Bombay
Search for topics. . .
- Rediscovering Hip-Hop’s Early Years: An Interview with Joseph Ewoodzie – AAIHS fb.me/79ocw5qrx 4 hours ago
- The Year in Protest Music 2017 pitchfork.com/features/lists… via @pitchfork 15 hours ago
- RT @Klangable: silent reading emboldened the reader because it placed the source of his curiosity completely under personal control https:/… 17 hours ago