Sound Off! // Comment Klatsch #18: Sounds of Freedom
klatsch \KLAHCH\ , noun: A casual gathering of people, esp. for refreshments and informal conversation [German Klatsch, from klatschen, to gossip, make a sharp noise, of imitative origin.] (Dictionary.com)
Dear Readers: ¡Regina Bradley, Presente! —J. Stoever-Ackerman, Editor-in-Chief
In honor of the 50th anniversary of Freedom Summer, which sounds remind you of the Freedom Struggle today?
Comment Klatsch logo courtesy of The Infatuated on Flickr.
About Regina N. BradleyDr. Regina N. Bradley is a writer, scholar, and researcher of African American Life and Culture. She is a recipient of the Nasir Jones HipHop Fellowship at Harvard University (Spring 2016) and an Assistant Professor of English and African Diaspora Studies at Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, GA. Dr. Bradley's expertise and research interests include hip hop culture, race and the contemporary U.S. South, and sound studies. Dr. Bradley's current book project, Chronicling Stankonia: Recognizing America's Hip Hop South (under contract, UNC Press), explores how hip hop (with emphasis on the southern hip hop duo Outkast) and popular culture update conversations about the American South to include the post-Civil Rights era. Also known as Red Clay Scholar, a nod to her Georgia upbringing, Regina maintains a critically acclaimed blog and personal website – www.redclayscholar.com.
- “It’s Time to End the Publishing Gatekeeping!”: SO! stands with RaceB4Race
- Listen to yourself!: Spotify, Ancestry DNA, and the Fortunes of Race Science in the Twenty-First Century
- Black Excellence on the Airwaves: Nora Holt and the American Negro Artist Program
- Blank Space and “Asymmetries of Childhood Innocence”
- Youth, Reverberations, and Detroit’s Most Charismatic Rapper
Search for topics. . .
- RT @ProfessorCrunk: Alondra is the dopest! I’m proud like I personally know her! 😍 twitter.com/alondra/status… 1 hour ago
- RT @audioalchemist_: while political structures & visual symbols can perpetuate racism, sonic markers can do the same. is the voice of amer… 8 hours ago
- RT @DaveMolkMusic: In this piece, I wrote about how I used a recording of Dr. King's "I Have Been to the Mountaintop" speech in my DJ/produ… 1 day ago